Best Vacuum For Hardwood Floors [Top 6 Reviews]
When searching for the best vacuum for hardwood floors, we considered over a hundred different vacuums. We included upright, canister, stick, and robotic vacuums on our list.
From there, we narrowed our list down to the top 20 vacuums. We even took a look at some industrial models. After getting feedback from owners and some in-home tests, we’ve narrowed down our top picks – the Shark Navigator Lift-away Pro with Dust-Away.
- 1. Best Vacuum For Hardwood Floors: Amazon Best Sellers
- 2. Top 6 Best hardwood floor vacuums Reviews for March 2023
- 3. How do we pick the hardwood floor vacuum?
- 4. What is the Best Vacuum for Hard Floors?
- 5. Why vacuums for hardwood floors?
- 6. Types of Best Hardwood Floor Vacuum To Consider
- 7. Best Vacuum for Hardwood Floors: Summary
- 8. Vacuum for Hardwood Floors: Today’s Best Deals!
Best Vacuum For Hardwood Floors: Amazon Best Sellers
If you’re in a hurry, take a look at these Amazon Best Sellers. Otherwise, keep reading!
Top 6 Best hardwood floor vacuums Reviews for March 2023
1. Top Pick – Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Pro with Dust-Away is the best hardwood floor vacuum. We think it stands out among the competition for a few key reasons.
This Shark vacuum has a sealed system with a HEPA filter that traps 99.9% of dust and allergens. It has the strong suction required to remove dust and grime from the spaces between the planks on your wood floor.
The bagless collection system means there is no ongoing cost to run your vacuum cleaner. And the 2.2-quart capacity means you won’t have to dump your dust cup halfway through the job.
This makes this the best vacuum for wood floors is the Dust Away attachment with Microfiber pads. Many vacuums skim the top of bare floors with spinning bristles that push the dirt and debris around without collecting it.
The Dust Away attachment has a powerful suction nozzle in the front to collect any dirt and then is followed by a microfiber cloth to pick up any fine dust that might not have been captured from the suction.
No dust, dirt, or allergen is left behind – you’ll be shocked at the difference compared to your regular vacuum. This makes the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro great for hardwood floors, tile, or any other bare floor.
Other vacuums work well for hardwood floors, but they often come at a cost. This specific Shark model is our top pick because it is exceptional for cleaning wood and incredibly versatile.
The standard vacuum head (or floor nozzle) has traditional bristles and works excellent for cleaning rugs or carpets, so it works well as a classic upright vacuum.
On top of that, the canister detaches from the floor nozzle so that you can take the vacuum anywhere. Toss in the included attachments, and everything is within reach. You can easily vacuum stairs, clean ceiling fan blades, collect the dust from your curtains, or vacuum the interior of your car.
We love the Shark Lift-Away Pro. It’s maneuverable, it does the job well, and it’s a workhorse that should last you for years. DOur only complaint is that it’s not as attractive as a Dyson vacuum or some cordless models.
But for under $200, we’re okay sticking it in the closet when we’re done! It does have a cord, so you’ll need to plug it in, but we’re willing to deal with that in exchange for the amount of suction provided.
2. Shark DuoClean Rocket Corded Ultralight Vacuum – Best Stick Vacuum for Hardwood Floors
The Shark DuoClean Rocket Corded Ultralight Vacuum is the best stick vacuum for hardwood floors. It features DuoClean Technology which combines a system of dual brush rolls in a single head. As a result, this model provides unbelievable carpet and hard floor cleaning.
It also has a Triple Particle Cleaning feature which enables it to pull large, stuck on and small particles from carpets and hard floors. To allow you to clean surfaces above the floor, you can easily convert the vacuum to a weight of 4.6 lb. This is through its ultra-lightweight feature that enhances its versatility.
This option is bagless hence, eco-friendly and convenient. However, this Shark model could not be the top pick because its versatility cannot match that of this guide’s top pick. Nevertheless, this must be the best stick vacuum for hardwood floors.
3. Runner up – Bissell Hard Floor Expert Multi-Cyclonic Bagless Canister Vacuum
This particular Bissell vacuum cleaner has been designed to specifically clean hardwood floors. The canister design gives you powerful suction in a lightweight, maneuverable package that makes vacuuming quick and painless.
It features a specialized turbine foot to pick up dirt, dust, and pet hair. It’s designed specifically for hard floors – the soft bristles will preserve your hardwood floors but still make this vacuum effective when cleaning area rugs or rooms with carpet.
Bissell took extra care in designing this canister vacuum for hardwood floors. The large rear wheels will glide over the cracks in your floors with ease, so the canister won’t get stuck while you’re moving about the room.
And the wheels themselves are covered with rubber, so you won’t have to worry about the vacuum scratching or to dent your flooring.
The Shark Lift-Away Pro is still a more versatile option because of the specialized attachments and its portability. The Shark also features a HEPA filter making it the better choice for people with allergies or pets.
But the Bissell Hard Floor Expert Multi-Cyclonic Bagless Canister Vacuum is an excellent choice if you are looking for a lower cost option than our top pick and don’t require as many bells and whistles.
4. Ecovades DEEBOT N79 Robotic Vacuum – Best Robot Vacuum for Hardwood Floors
This is a small but powerful automatic cleaner. Robotic vacuums work well for people who have mobility issues, lots of cleaning to do (in the case of small children or pets), are short on time, or just like the novelty of having an automated helper.
They also tend to work much better in single-level homes – sending a robotic vacuum on a trip down the stairs is the easiest way to break it.
We like the DEEBOT N79 for a few reasons. First, it can be controlled with a smartphone app, making it much easier to set up and control. There’s a need to guess whether or not you’ve entered the correct sequence of buttons.
The DEEBOT N79 has a big lithium-ion battery that lets it run for nearly two hours on a single charge. It can also find its charging dock and recharge itself automatically, so you won’t have to worry about it dying mid-clean.
With three types of sensors, the DEEBOT N79 can detect drops as low as 3.1”, so you won’t have to worry about it accidentally diving down the stairs.
There are two reasons why the DEEBOT N79 is the best robot vacuum for hardwood floors. First, the small brushless motor allows for potent suction relative to its size, which is essential to clean hard floors thoroughly.
Second, the “direct suction mode” will enable you to disengage the rotating brush under the robotic vacuum, which will help protect your floors.
Robot vacuums like the DEEBOT or the Roomba are still limited compared to a traditional vacuum. It’s hard to beat the versatility or overall power like the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro. But as far as robotic vacuums go, the DEEBOT is by far the best robot vacuum for hardwood floors.
Compared to the Roomba 980 or the Roomba 690, the DEEBOT N79 is a fraction of the cost, making it an excellent value.
5. Budget pick – Bissell PowerEdge Best vacuum cleaner for wooden floors
If you are running on a tight budget, the Bissell PowerEdge is the best option for you. It will help you get rid of fine and large particles on your wood floor. It does not use a brush roll, so no worries about scratches or marks from hard bristles.
The Bissell PowerEdge features V-shaped wipers that remove large debris while the arms clean fine particles. The V-shaped foot makes the vacuum incredibly easy to use when working around furniture or trying to get into tight corners.
It’s a bagless vacuum with a similar cyclonic suction system as our runner-up, so that it will work great for pet hair.
The downside here is this hard floor vacuum is just that – it will work great on hardwood or tile, but will not be very effective for carpet. That being said, we’ve seen it on sale for under $50.
At that price point, the Bissell PowerEdge Hard Floor Vacuum makes a tremendous entry-level vacuum or a viable alternative to a broom and dustpan.
6. Miele Complete C2 Limited Edition – Best vacuums for hardwood floors
Miele has a long tradition of delivering high-quality, durable, and dependable vacuum cleaners. The Miele Complete C2 is a corded vacuum that is great for cleaning hardwood floors, and the limited edition yellow model makes a cheery addition to any chore.
It has a Deluxe handle grip that has electro brush control. The suction control is adjustable, and its hose locks in place to enable easy storage. It has built-in tool storage, which is one reason why it is a great option.
This model from Miele features 6- power setting that is controlled with a rotary dial. It is versatile and can work on various surfaces when operating. This model is quieter than most models on the market today, which makes cleaning much more pleasant.
It lacks the dedicated hardwood features and the versatility of our top pick, but it is by far the most stylish choice and might outlast your hardwood floors.
|1||Miele Complete C2 Hardfloor Bagged Hard Floor Canister Vacuum Cleaner, Tech Blue||Check Latest Price|
|2||Miele Classic C1 Pure Suction Bagged Canister Vacuum, Graphite Grey - Portable, Household||Check Latest Price|
How do we pick the hardwood floor vacuum?
Vacuum cleaners are categorized into seven types:
Deciding which type of vacuum is best for you comes down to a few different considerations.
Size – Cleaning is a physical activity. Therefore, how much weight you can push around when cleaning matters. Size also determines whether or not you can work around furniture or move it to clean. It’s also a consideration when choosing how you’ll store your vacuum.
Level of dirt – Are you dealing with pet hair? If yes, hair is the dirt you are likely to clean up than any other. Look for a vacuum with special attachments like a crevice tool and turbo brush for pet hair removal. It will make cleaning your furniture that much easier.
If you suffer from allergies, you’ll want to find a vacuum that is sealed and has an excellent filter to trap any dust, dander, and allergens.
Reliability and durability – Vacuums can be expensive. Spending slightly more for a more reliable model can pay dividends. You’ll want a vacuum with a reliable motor, sturdy construction, and high-quality parts.
One area to pay close attention to is the vacuum foot – as the brush head spins thousands of times, it’s easy for the foot to come to lose or for the bearings to lock up.
What is the Best Vacuum for Hard Floors?
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro with Dust-Away is the best vacuum for hardwood floors. We love it because the Dust-Away attachment will leave your wood floors spotless.
The closed system vacuum with a HEPA filter will ensure that it keeps the dirt, dust, and allergens inside the bagless container while in use. And it’s great for the rest of the house, too – from tile to carpet to your auto interior, this vacuum is versatile and is built to go anywhere.
- LIFT-AWAY: Lift away the pod to clean under furniture. Or detach the nozzle to clean above the floor, on upholstery, furniture, stairs, and more.
- ANTI-ALLERGEN COMPLETE SEAL: Works with a HEPA filter to trap 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner. (Based on ASTM F1977 of particles .3 microns or larger.)
- BRUSHROLL SHUTOFF: Instantly switch from more maneuverability on deep carpets to gentle bare floor cleaning.
Why vacuums for hardwood floors?
Hardwood floors are timeless. They’re natural-looking, versatile, and if they are well maintained, they can last for generations. Whether your floors are newly installed or are older than you are, you’ll want to take care of them.
Hardwood floors present particular challenges to your regular vacuum. Many vacuums rely on a combination of suction and bristles to remove dirt, dust, pet hair, and other allergens from the floor.
This combination works great for rugs and carpets because the bristles can get below the surface level and clean deeply. For bare floors like wood, this method of cleaning isn’t as effective.
Bristles don’t work well on the hardwood – often, they push dust and dirt around instead of picking it up. It’s much closer to a broom than a vacuum. Because of this, the vacuum relies on suction power to clean dirt and debris.
When things like pet hair get stuck between the planks of your wood flooring and the regular vacuum will struggle. Small dust particles will be left behind – with a standard vacuum, and you may end up having to sweep your floors after you’re done vacuuming.
What’s worse is that hardwood floors are much more delicate than carpet or tile. Vacuums with stiff bristles may scratch your floor or wear away the finish, leaving your wood floors looking dull and worn.
If the vacuum has hard plastic rollers or any jagged points on the vacuum head, you could accidentally do permanent damage to your flooring.
Because of these unique challenges, it helps to buy a vacuum that’s designed specifically for wood flooring. When purchasing the best vacuum for a hardwood floor, there are specific features that you should look for:
- Strong suction power to clean between the wood planks
- No beater brushes or stiff bristles
- Rubber or felt-lined wheels to avoid damage
- Compact, lightweight, and maneuverable
- Versatility – you want a great vacuum for hardwood but will still get the job done in the rest of the house.
Types of Best Hardwood Floor Vacuum To Consider
Canister vs. upright vs. stick vacuums
A canister is designed to be lightweight to enable you to clean above the floor (upholstery cleaning, crevice cleaning, and dusting). For carpet cleaning, this type of vacuum performs deep cleaning. A canister vacuum needs to be pulled instead of pushed.
Generally, they make things easier when cleaning around large furniture. It easily cleans hard-to-reach areas and stairs as well.
Upright vacuums, unlike canisters, need you to push them, so they require a bit more effort to use. They often weigh more than a canister and can be more challenging to use when cleaning upholstery or stairs.
However, they generally offer more suction and work very well on most types of flooring.
Stick vacuum cleaners are everyday cleanup tools for pet hair, spills, and after mealtime cleaning. They often have a detachable stick and can often be used as handheld cleaners as well.
However, they cannot help much with heavy carpet cleaning and often lack the suction required to clean bare floors thoroughly. The stick vacuums can be cordless or corded.
Bag vs. Bagless Vacuums
Both bagged, and bagless vacuums need the same maintenance level. Both of them require being emptied regularly. Bagless options free you from stocking up on vacuum bags and reduce the cost of owning the vacuum over time.
However, there are still a couple of filters to clean in a bagless vacuum. The bagless vacuum is eco-friendly, and it is a popular option. The downside is that you are highly exposed to allergens when cleaning.
Bagged vacuums, on the other hand, trap debris and dirt in the bag. For disposal, this bag can easily be tossed in the trash without any exposure to its contents. Bagged vacuums are hygienic and great for people with allergies.
The obvious downside is the cost of the bags over time, as well as remembering to keep a stockpile of bags in your home.
Corded vs. Cordless vacuums
Cordless vacuums are lightweight, and they are battery-powered. They include accessories for upholstery and stairs cleaning, crevices, and car cleaning. The length of the cord does not restrict them is much more maneuverable.
Proximity to power sockets is not a limitation to them either. They are easy to store because they are smaller in size. However, these vacuums come with a limitation of battery life – it can be very annoying to have your vacuum die in the middle of your cleaning routine.
Their capacity is also smaller and may require you to dump the dust cup multiple times during use.
Corded vacuums, on the other hand, are more powerful as they have a steady power stream. Corded vacuums tend to be more durable, have a higher capacity, and have more options for accessories, attachments, and features.
Where cordless vacuums are suitable for specific tasks, an excellent corded vacuum is usually much more versatile.
Best Vacuum for Hardwood Floors: Summary
There are many types of vacuums and hundreds of different models. We think upright, and canister-style vacuums are the best vacuums for most people. We prefer bagless models because of the convenience, and we favor vacuums with sealed systems and allergy-friendly filters.
When it comes to hardwood or other bare floors, we think suction is one of the most critical factors for a vacuum, so we believe going with a more powerful corded model is the right choice.
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro with Dust-Away is the best vacuum for hardwood floors because it has the right combination of form, features, suction power, and versatility.
Vacuum for Hardwood Floors: Today’s Best Deals!
- 【Powerful Suction Power】The upgraded high-speed motor built into the cordless vacuum cleaner can provide powerful suction in MAX mode. The cordless stick vacuum is perfect for hard floors,...
- 【5-Layer High-Efficiency Filtration System】INSE stick vacuum is equipped with fully sealed high-efficiency cyclone separation technology and a high-density filtration system that captures up to...
- 【45 Minutes Long-lasting Runtime】The stick vacuum cleaner cordless provides a fade-free cleaning performance for up to 45mins, meanwhile providing a 5 times longer service life with over voltage,...
- 【Detachable Large Capacity Battery】T150 vacuum cleaner equipped with upgraded Detachable 8-Cell Lithium-ion 2200mAh large capacity battery, The upgraded new 8-cell battery has a longer battery...
- 【 Excellent Suction】Powerful high-efficiency motor generating maximum 15Kpa excellent suction, Suitable for cleaning up large particles bread crumbs, animal hair, etc. Standard mode offers up to...
- 【LED Motorized Floor Brush&180° Flexible movable】The Motorized Floor Brush is fitted with LED lights at the top, which helps track dirt in dark and hard-to-reach places. swivels 180° sideways...
- 🎁High-Efficiency Filtration System: Vacuum cleaner features with 6-stage high-efficiency filtration system. This lightweight vacuum collects up to 99.99% of microscopic fine particles as small as...
- 🎁Multifunctional & Lightweight: With multipurpose attachments, this corded stick vacuum easily converts to a portable handheld vacuum for all your cleaning needs. The lightweight design makes...
- 🎁18000Pa Powerful Suction: Equipped with a new generation 450W motor, Corded vacuum cleaner ensures continuous and stable high power to meet every cleaning need. Perfect stick vacuum cleaner for...
- UP TO 25% MORE PICKUP ON CARPET**.Voltage 20 Volts
- UP TO 44 MINUTES OF RUNTIME*
- AUTOSENSE TECHNOLOGY automatically changes suction power based on floor type, optimizing runtime
- 🌀3 Strong Suction Modes & LED Display: Voweek household vacuum cleaners offers 3 power powerful suction modes(Min, Mid & Max mode). From deep cleaning carpet dust, cat litter, dog food crumbs, pet...
- 🌀5-Layer High-Efficiency Filtration System: Voweek cordless vacuum cleaner with all-new cyclone technology and high-density meshing. Captures the smallest particles on flat surfaces, with up to...
- 🌀Powerful 6-in-1 & Plus Handheld: Voweek cordless stick vacuum cleaner including a 2-in-1 stiff & soft roller brush, 2 more functional brushes, and an extensible stick. The roller brush could be...
- EVERY PURCHASE SAVES PETS. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- SWIVEL STEERING FOR MAXIMUM MANEUVERABILITY. Makes cleaning around furniture and other obstacles easy. Filter replacement every 6 months
- TRIPLE ACTION BRUSH ROLL. Loosens, lifts and removes embedded pet hair.
- Dirt cup capacity 2 liters; Cyclonic action and powerful suction provide thorough cleaning; Plus, no more bags to buy or change ever.Amperage : 9 amps
- Easily go from cleaning carpets to hard floors with the flip of a switch. Power rating : 9 ampere
- Dirt cup filters and post motor filter help capture more fine dust and particles. Filters are washable and reusable
- Powerful, convenient, and easy to use
- Powerful suction makes it great for quick pick ups with multipurpose versatility
- Versatile cleaning three machines in one: A stick vacuum, handle vacuum, and stair vacuum
- 【Powerful Suction Power and One-Touch Mode】SOWTECH corded stick vacuum with one-touch mode, rejects complicated operation and always provides powerful suction power of 17,000Pa, stick vacuum...
- 【Cyclone HEPA filtration system】Our vacuum cleaner with high efficiency cyclone technology helps to clean up to 99.99% of tiny dust particles as small as 0.1 microns, which can separate different...
- 【Multi-Function & Lightweight & Storage Base】6-in-1 combination vacuum cleaner that can also be used as a handheld vacuum cleaner with a floor brush, square brush, mattress tool, crevice Tool etc....
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Last update on 2023-03-28 from Amazon / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API