Best Programmable WiFi Thermostat [TOP 7 Reviews]
Buying a new thermostat is not like buying other home appliances like a vacuum or a pressure cooker.
There are many things to consider before buying a smart thermostat – what type of HVAC system you’re running, what features you need, whether you’re looking for energy savings, convenience, or both, etc.
One of the most critical questions is whether it is worth upgrading from a traditional thermostat to a new, Wi-Fi, or programmable thermostat.
In this article, we cover the best WiFi thermostats on the market. We discuss:
- The main differences between traditional thermostats and smart thermostats.
- The different features are available for each type of thermostat.
- How to choose a thermostat that’s right for your home.
- The best wi-fi and programmable thermostats on the market. We include our top two picks, a budget option, the best thermostat for large homes, and notable runner-ups.
- 1. Best Wifi Programmable Thermostat: Amazon Best Sellers
- 2. Is a Best Wifi-enabled Thermostat Right For me?
- 3. What Features Do You Want For Your Best Programmable Thermostat?
- 4. How to Pick the Right Smart Thermostat for Your Home
Top 7 Best Wifi Smart Thermostats for March 2023
- 5.1. 1. Google Nest 3rd Generation – Best programmable wifi thermostat
- 5.2. 2. Ecobee4 Best Wifi Home Thermostat
- 5.3. 3. Honeywell WiFi Thermostat
- 5.4. 4. Emerson Sensi Wifi Programmable Thermostat
- 5.5. 5. Nest 2nd Generation Programmable Thermostat Wifi
- 5.6. 6. Lux Geo Wi-Fi Best Home Thermostat
- 5.7. 7. Honeywell Thermostat WiFi RTH6580WF
- 6. Best Wifi Thermostat: The Verdict
- 7. Wifi Thermostat: Today’s Best Deals!
Best Wifi Programmable Thermostat: Amazon Best Sellers
If you’re in a hurry, take a look at these Amazon Best Sellers. Otherwise, keep reading!
Is a Best Wifi-enabled Thermostat Right For me?
In most cases, there are big benefits to upgrading your thermostats – they’re convenient and can save you money. They often pay for themselves over a few months.
Traditional thermostats only allow you to adjust the temperature in your home. On the other hand, programmable thermostats allow you to set up a schedule and have the thermostat change the temperature based on the schedule.
And the most advanced smart thermostats take this one step further to learn their users’ preferences and set the temperature based on past usage.
Smart thermostats can also be controlled remotely, show energy reports, and adjust their properties based on the conditions outside.
How does this save you money? By programming your thermostat correctly, it will know when to run and when to turn it off. By reducing any unnecessary heating/cooling going on.
According to the department of energy, heating and cooling systems account for nearly 50% of the average home’s electricity bill, so any reduction in usage can add up to significant savings on your monthly utility bills.
What Features Do You Want For Your Best Programmable Thermostat?
After determining the type of HVAC system you have, you should think about what you want out of your new thermostat.
This will help you narrow down your options and understand what you’re willing to spend on your new smart device.
Programming, Smart Settings, And Convenience
If you spend most of your time at home, then you could go with the basic thermostats that do not have to be programmed at all.
But, if you are away often or have a regular schedule, then more complex models could suit you. Some programmable thermostats allow you to set different schedules for the weekend and workdays.
Others allow you to set up four different temperatures for each day of the week. The most advanced learning thermostats do not need any programming at all.
Instead, such thermostats focus on “learning” your schedule.
The main advantages of a programmable thermostat are its convenience and cost savings. You can always program your thermostat to run minimally while you’re away and to warm up/cool down slightly before you come home. This will save you money, and you will return to a comfortable environment.
On the other hand, smart thermostats can do everything mentioned above and even more. They have more features, and they are easier to integrate into your daily life. You can control your thermostat remotely, which comes in handy if you have irregular hours.
Let’s say your system is programmed to start heating your home minutes before you return from work and maintain a comfortable temperature over the weekend. What if you have to decide to go away for the weekend? You don’t want to heat an empty home.
With a wi-fi-enabled thermostat, you can update your settings on the go, and there’s one less thing to remember as you’re walking out the door.
Remote access is also beneficial if you are installing the thermostat in a vacation home. You could turn the heat or air conditioning on a few hours before your arrival to make sure your home is comfortable by the time you get there.
This is also great for those who rent their homes on Airbnb or VRBO – you can make sure your guests are comfortable when they arrive and ensure the HVAC system is turned off after they leave.
Smart Home Integrations
Digital assistants have taken the world by storm. Amazon has sold nearly 20 million Echo devices, with millions of Americans asking “Alexa” to run their homes. Google has followed suit with the introduction of its own Google Home devices.
Apple has recently launched the HomePod to bring Siri into the home as well. If you have other smart home devices, you should consider buying a thermostat that works with your existing system.
Many thermostats, such as those produced by Google Nest, can be integrated with Amazon Alexa. Alexa constantly keeps getting upgrades. She was capable of voice interaction, playing music, making to-do lists, providing weather information and news.
Now she can help you control the temperature in your home. You can use Amazon Alexa to find out the temperature in your home, set the target temperature, and increase/decrease the target temperature.
Currently, Alexa is compatible with Google Nest learning thermostats, Honeywell Lyric & Total Connect Comfort thermostats, Ecobee4, and the Sensi Smart Thermostat.
Besides Alexa, many smart thermostats work with other smart-home hubs like Wink, SmartThings, and Apple HomeKit. Google Nest also developed their program Works with Nest, which connects the user’s thermostat with many other products such as lights, garage door openers, cars, and many more.
For example, a Google Nest thermostat can turn up the heat when the user activates the Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener and signals they’ve arrived home.
If these advanced features are something you would like your thermostat to have, then make sure to check its compatibility with smart-home systems.
Smart thermostats can also monitor energy consumption and even provide reporting on how much energy you’re using, how much you’ve saved by installing the thermostat, and even the health of your HVAC system.
These reports are accessible online or via a smartphone app. In some cases, these reports can provide further recommendations on how to configure your thermostat to help lower your bills.
Room by Room Temperature Settings
Some of the latest thermostats come with wireless remote sensors. These sensors address one crucial flaw that has been around for decades.
Typical thermostats measure the temperature of the room it is located in. There are often “hot rooms” in a home, even when the air is on.
Homeowners must deal with the inconsistent temperature or crank up their system to get the dead zone up to a comfortable temperature while wasting energy everywhere else.
Wireless remote sensors can help resolve this issue. They measure temperature in several rooms and allow you to set the temperature for individual zones, helping your thermostat regulate the temperature in your house more consistently.
How to Pick the Right Smart Thermostat for Your Home
Wi-fi and programmable thermostats have one common concern. As buyers compare the best WiFi thermostats, the most important thing to consider is if they will be compatible with their HVAC system.
There is much more to buying a new learning thermostat than choosing a brand or finding the best-looking model.
There are various heating and cooling systems, and you should make sure that your new thermostat works with yours. The most common HVAC systems are one- and two-stage systems.
Usually, thermostats support only one heating and one cooling system with multiple stages. However, some can have up to four heating and three cooling functions.
For example, if your system has baseboard heat, a hot air system, and air conditioning, you have a “two heat” “one cool” system.
Nowadays, central heating and cooling systems are the most common ones. They can be electric, gas, oil, or 24V. If you are not sure which one you have, check your furnace.
Electric systems usually do not have any glass windows, unlike gas furnaces with a small window and a visible blue flame inside.
Another consideration is whether or not your system has a “C-Wire.” We explain what a C-wire is here, but basically, it determines how you provide power to your thermostat.
Unlike other thermostats, most wi-fi or programmable thermostats require a C-wire.
Whether or not your HVAC system features a C-wire will determine which thermostats can control your system. There are ways to install a smart thermostat without a C-wire, but it will take a bit of extra effort during installation, which is worth considering.
There are many tutorials on installing a C-wire by yourself, or you can always hire an electrician to do it for you.
Top 7 Best Wifi Smart Thermostats for March 2023
Here you will find the top 7 Best Wifi Smart Thermostats for March 2023
1. Google Nest 3rd Generation – Best programmable wifi thermostat
|1||Google Nest Learning Thermostat - Programmable Smart Thermostat for Home - 3rd Generation Nest...||Check Latest Price|
The Google Nest 3rd generation learning thermostat wins you over right away with its sleek and futuristic design. Nest invented the original smart thermostat and changed the way we look at this basic home appliance forever.
Since their first model, Google Nest has continued to refine its top-of-the-line thermostat and push the original features even further.
Google Nest Thermostat Design
The thermostat has a puck-shaped design, and it is available with a white, black, copper, or stainless steel finish. The 2.1-inch display has 480 by 480 resolution.
It is very easy to enter information – Nest spent a lot of time in the design phase and wanted to make sure the thermostat was easy to use. Just press the edge of the ring to launch the menu, turn the ring to find the desired setting, and press the ring to select a certain item.
Google Nest Auto-Schedule
What sets this Nest thermostat apart from other thermostats is its smart Auto-Schedule feature. Nest has invested a lot of time into this feature to help reduce energy costs for its customers and consistently publishes studies based on their results.
Auto-Schedule allows the thermostat to learn the user’s daily heating or cooling preferences. After only one week of use, Google Nest 3rd gen thermostat will automatically create a schedule based on users’ preferences.
Of course, you can always set up a manual schedule whenever you need it.
Another smart feature of Nest 3rd Gen Thermostat is its proximity sensor. It detects people when they walk by and immediately lights up the screen to display the current temperature in the room and the temperature it is set to currently.
This sensor also helps notify the system if someone is home outside of the determined schedule. It can use this sensor to determine if someone is home and modify the temperature in the home.
The Nest 3rd generation thermostat can also control your water heater as well. The thermostat can trigger the water heater’s activity based on this motion sensor. This avoids heating water when the home is empty and can help save money on your gas or electric bill every month.
Google Nest Energy Savings
The thermostat has a 1-degree temperature swing, meaning that it will only activate your HVAC if your home is more than 1-degree warmer/cooler than your target temperature.
This makes the thermostat more energy-efficient than its competitors. This is one of many features that can help the Nest owners save some energy and reduce their bills.
The built-in sensors can track humidity, temperature, movement, as well as external conditions. If the conditions are right, this Google Nest Learning Thermostat will automatically shut off the user’s AC compressor early and leave the fan running.
By doing so, the leftover cold air will cool the user’s home for a while, which can cut cooling costs by 30 percent.
The thermostat uses its motion sensors to determine if anyone is at home. If the home is empty, the thermostat will automatically switch to Auto-Away mode. It can also detect the user’s smartphone location and activate the HVAC system when they come within a few miles of his house.
Monthly Nest Home Reports are provided to every buyer. They show you the last month’s energy consumption and give some tips on saving even more energy.
Google Nest Safety Alerts
A feature that adds to the fantastic performance of Nest’s 3rd generation thermostat is the Safety Alerts feature. This Google Nest thermostat is so smart that it will text its owner whenever it detects something odd about the HVAC system.
For example, if the temperature outside is so cold that your pipes could burst, Google Nest will alert you so that you can take action.
Don’t worry if you are not at home when something comes up because you can always control this thermostat remotely, thanks to the Nest app compatible with the thermostat.
Google Nest Smart Home Integrations
In addition, this advanced thermostat works with many other Nest devices, such as Nest Protect smoke detectors and Nest security cameras. With multiple Nest devices, you can see a detailed overview of your entire house in the monthly Home Reports.
Nest integrates with several third-party devices, like Haiku fans, LIFX lighting, Wink Hub, and many more. The users can easily control the thermostat by using Google Home or Amazon Alexa.
Why the Google Nest 3rd Generation is the Top Pick
Nest made the original smart thermostat and has continued to make the best models ever since. With the most advanced energy-saving savings capabilities, reporting, and integrations, it’s hard to go wrong with a Nest smart thermostat.
Their website and mobile apps are easy to use, and the thermostat is easy to install. We also think they’re the best-looking thermostat on the market and look great no matter how you’ve decorated your home.
- Stylish design
- Larger display, better resolution, and an all-new Farsight feature
- Easy to use
- Energy savings and reporting
- Advanced learning capability
- Lots of integrations with other smart home products
- One of the more expensive models on the market
- There are no wireless remote temperature sensors
- Two-year warranty, which is shorter than the industry average.
To learn more about the Google Nest 3rd Generation thermostat, check out our deep-dive review.
2. Ecobee4 Best Wifi Home Thermostat
|1||ecobee EB-STATe3L-01 3 Lite Thermostat, Wi-Fi, Works with Amazon Alexa||Check Latest Price|
|2||NEW 2022! ecobee Smart Thermostat Premium with Siri and Alexa and Built in Air Quality Monitor and...||Check Latest Price|
The Ecobee4 is a smart thermostat and the best choice for those who live in a big house. It excels where many other advanced thermostats fail – providing a comfortable temperature in all rooms.
Most thermostats only monitor the temperature in the room they are placed in. Ecobee4 uses remote sensors that can measure the temperature in other rooms as well. The sensors send information to the main unit, which then provides the desired temperature in all of the rooms across the house.
In addition, motion sensors help the unit to determine whether anyone is at home or away. If a particular room is empty, the system will adjust the temperature by itself to save energy.
Ecobee4 provides the user with hands-free control and features many smart home integrations. It constantly monitors the temperature inside and weather conditions outside and adjusts the HVAC system accordingly.
With its advanced features and remote sensors, the Ecobee4 is surprisingly user-friendly. That easy-to-use design carries through to the smartphone app, making it is easy to adjust your heating and cooling settings on any device.
Ecobee4 Smart Features
The Ecobee4 comes with many smart features that ensure that your home temperature is optimal and that you save some money. With the ability to control multiple types of devices, the Ecobee4 gives users much more control over temperature and humidity in the home.
For example, if your home has a whole-house ventilator, the unit will use outdoor air to cool your home when necessary. The Ecobee4 can also regulate indoor humidity by using an air conditioning system or a humidifier.
One of the most advanced features that this thermostat has is the Smart Recovery. This feature monitors the temperature outdoors and searches for an energy-efficient way to regulate your home temperature.
It uses every device under its control to maintain the desired temperature while minimizing the running time of the HVAC system as much as possible. This reduces wear and tear on your system, cuts energy usage, and helps save you money in the short and long term.
The Ecobee4’s interface is straightforward to use both for the thermostat and the app. The sleek design is modern without being obnoxious. It looks great in homes decorated in any style, from mid-century modern to shabby chic.
Making any adjustments to this thermostat is a piece of cake with a 3.5” LCD touchscreen. In addition, the display also features smart controls and icons, making the thermostat easy to read and easy to use.
Ecobee4 Smart Motion & Temperature Detection
This thermostat has more advanced motion detecting abilities than Nest and Honeywell models. As already mentioned, the Ecobee4 comes with remote sensors that detect activity and temperature in the rooms they are placed in.
This prevents your system from switching to “away” mode because the motion sensors are located in an area you do not spend much time in. For example, if you were in your bedroom but your thermostat was in your living room, the Nest or Honeywell models might think you left the house.
With Ecobee4’s remote sensors, this would not be an issue. Instead, the thermostat would adjust the temperature in your living room and bedroom to match your preferences.
The kit comes with only one sensor, but you can always purchase additional ones. The sensors can be hung on the wall or placed on the included stand. The sensors run on batteries, are portable, and are very easy to install.
Ecobee4 Advanced Energy Reports
The Ecobee4 has advanced energy reports called Home IQ, which can be accessed through the web. Home IQ has two main features. Runtime Reports give the user an estimate of how much energy they used and how much money they have saved.
Weather Impact shows the user how the weather and the outside temperature impact the total run time of the HVAC system.
Home IQ can save up to 18 months of data. This is great because you can analyze your systems usage and performance over the long term, identify trends, and understand the health of your HVAC system.
Why the Ecobee4 is the Best Pick For Large Houses
The Ecobee4 offers more control than a Nest Thermostat. It works well for large houses because it allows you to control comfort settings for multiple rooms simultaneously. The sensors will enable you to buy one thermostat and additional sensors instead of purchasing various thermostat units.
It learns your preferences, allows you to create custom schedules, control every HVAC appliance in your home, and ultimately save you money on your energy bill.
- Most advanced learning thermostat
- Remote temperature sensors allow for greater control and greater cost savings
- Motion sensors can be spread around the house
- Detailed energy and data reporting
- Three-year warranty
- C-wire is not required
- One of the more expensive units on the market
- Installation requires more work because of the additional sensors
- The thermostat only includes one remote sensor. Other sensors must be purchased separately.
If you’re interested in learning more about the Ecobee4, we recommend you check out our guide to the best thermostats with remote sensors.
3. Honeywell WiFi Thermostat
The Honeywell RTH9580WF programmable thermostat WiFi is very pleasing to look at and can fit in any décor. The large touch screen displays all the information you need – current temperature and humidity, HVAC’s operating mode, and the target temperature.
This thermostat from Honeywell is straightforward to set up and use. You can control it directly from the control screen or via an app that can be downloaded to your PC or Apple/Android smartphone.
One of the essential features is the possibility to override the set-up schedule manually. If your schedule changes, just adjust the system manually for a certain number of hours without disrupting the predetermined schedule and settings.
It is essential to mention that this thermostat is also a smart thermostat that can help you save a lot of money by learning your heating and cooling patterns. Here are some of the Honeywell RTH9850WF’s best features.
Honeywell Total Connect Comfort App
The remote companion app compatible with Honeywell RTH9580WF is free and will give the user complete control over their thermostat. With the thermostat connected to wi-fi, the user will always control the temperature in their home regardless of their location.
The thermostat will also regularly notify the user about essential changes in temperature, humidity, or specific errors that may come up. Honeywell users say the companion app that comes with this thermostat is the best and incredibly easy to use.
Honeywell RTH9580 Smart Response
The Honeywell RTH9580wf is a programmable thermostat that is also a learning thermostat. It does not learn as fast as Nest’s 3rd generation thermostat does, so it takes longer to gain some monthly savings.
This thermostat comes with the Smart Response feature, an internal system that analyzes how the user programs the thermostat over time. After some time, the device will start adjusting the temperature to match the ones its user typically chooses.
In addition, the thermostat also gathers outdoor weather conditions from Accuweather. It uses this information to predict temperature changes and heat or cool the house accordingly.
Honeywell Energy Savings & Peak Hours
The RTH9580WF can be programmed directly or using the mobile app. By creating a schedule and adjusting your HVAC system, you can reduce your energy usage to save some money.
Creating a schedule is manageable. You can do it yourself or have the app do it for you after answering some questions. You have the option to edit your schedule at any time.
The RTH9580WF can also determine peak hours on its own by automatically gathering records from local utility companies. It uses this information to reduce energy use during peak hours and help you save even more energy and money.
In areas susceptible to energy blackouts, thermostats like this can help the entire community avoid power outages.
Honeywell smart thermostat: PROs
- Total control – the user can control indoor temperature, humidity, and air circulation
- Multiple users can download the app and control the device
- The unit is compatible with Amazon Alexa
- The thermostat can learn your heating and cooling preferences
- Automatically saves energy
- Ability to automatically switch from heating to cooling
Honeywell smart thermostat: CONs
- No energy or data reporting
- No proximity or motion sensors
- No wireless remote temperature sensors
- Some users had trouble installing the device
If you want to learn more, please check out our deep-dive review of the Honeywell RTH9580.
4. Emerson Sensi Wifi Programmable Thermostat
The Emerson Sensi is a feature-packed smart thermostat for way less than its competitors. It has an easy-to-use interface and a well-designed app. It is a straightforward thermostat that still manages to be a smart upgrade compared to the traditional model. You can check the price here on Amazon.
As you would expect, this thermostat is not as advanced as the previous two ones. First, it looks more like a traditional thermostat and does not feature a touch screen. It does not have any remote sensors. It will not learn your preferred temperatures. It doesn’t integrate with every smart home device under the sun. So, why should you buy it?
For one, it’s well priced. Emerson Sensi is not the most advanced thermostat, but it is the best one you can get for that money. No, it does not have automatic temperature scheduling nor motion sensors, but it is programmable. With the proper scheduling, you can still save substantial money every month on your energy bills.
Unlike many other WiFi programmable thermostats, the Sensi supports four-stage heating. Its options also include two-stage cooling. The unit has a seven-day scheduling option, humidity sensor, geofencing, weather information, and away settings. It’s lightyears ahead of your traditional thermostat.
The Sensi can also be controlled from anywhere with an app compatible with Android and iOS smartphones. This is very useful when you forget to set the thermostat to away mode or when you need to end the away mode earlier. The unit can also be connected to smart home platforms via Wink and Apple HomeKit.
Easy Scheduling and Temperature Adjustments
The Sensi makes adjusting the temperature in your home easy. Using the app, you can change the temperature and create schedules from anywhere.
People who are not tech-savvy will appreciate the app because it is user-friendly and easy to figure out how to use it. The current temperature is in the middle of the screen, and right next to it are the up-and-down arrows that allow the user to change the temperature.
In addition, the system’s status is displayed on the bottom and the weather report on the top of the screen. The current schedule is also displayed.
The Sensi comes with nine built-in schedules, which makes it easy to set up. Users can also create their schedules and even separate the schedules for workdays and weekends.
Emerson Sensi Installation & Connectivity
What frightens many traditional thermostat users is the installation of a new smart thermostat. Luckily, the installation of Sensi is DIY-friendly and can be done by almost anyone. If you are still not confident installing it yourself, the Sensi website can help you find a professional who will do it for you.
Connecting the thermostat to your home’s Wi-Fi is a breeze. Some users have complained about the connectivity issues, but the problem seems to resolve within a day or two.
- Easy operation and ease of use
- Humidity sensors are included
- Three-year warranty
- No advanced learning or scheduling options
- No energy or data reports
- No motion sensors
- No remote wireless temperature sensors
- Limited smart home integrations
5. Nest 2nd Generation Programmable Thermostat Wifi
The Nest 2nd generation learning thermostat is very similar to its successor, the Nest 3rd gen thermostat. The main difference is that this one is about $50 cheaper and it lacks certain advanced features such as Farsight and hot-water controls.
There’s a noticeable difference in the design between the two models. The most notable difference is the display. Nest 3rd gen thermostat has a 30% bigger display and 480 by 480 resolution, making it much easier to see information across the room.
Still, the 2nd generation has a sleek and stylish design, and like the 3rd gen model, it includes a built-in motion sensor. It glows red when heating and blue when cooling. A little leaf will appear on the thermostat to notify the user that it is conserving energy.
The 2nd generation model features many of the same energy-saving features as the newer model. It learns when the user is usually at home, monitors the user’s desired temperatures, and makes all the changes on its own, just like Nest’s 3rd generation thermostat.
One of the fun features of this thermostat is that whenever a person comes near, it will light up its screen so the user can see the temperature and adjust it as needed. However, this feature is slightly upgraded with Nest 3, and it is called Farsight.
The Farsight feature allows the user to see the temperature from 20 feet away from the unit. In contrast, the Nest 2nd generation thermostat can detect a person only three feet away from the unit.
Another feature that Nest 2 lacks is the Furnace Heads-Up feature. Furnace overheating is a common issue that the Nest 3rd gen can help prevent. Turning off the unit to avoid overheating increases home safety and add to the unit’s energy efficiency.
This older unit from Nest lacks the Furnace Heads-Up and Safety Alerts feature, which texts the user when there is something wrong with the HVAC system.
Even though Nest 2nd gen thermostat lacks some smart features compared to Nest 3, it is still one of the best thermostats on the market.
Its auto-away feature will help you save a significant amount of energy (and money), the “Early On” feature will make cold mornings more pleasant, and the “True Radiant” mode will let you know how much heat exactly is being created.
If features like Safety Alerts, Furnace Heads-Up, and Farsight are essential to you, then the Nest 3rd generation thermostat is better.
If you want to buy your first smart thermostat and are willing to live without those features, the Nest 2nd generation is a much better bang for your buck.
6. Lux Geo Wi-Fi Best Home Thermostat
|1||Lux Products GEO-WH Wi-Fi Thermostat, White||Check Latest Price|
|2||Lux Products GEO-BL Wi-Fi Thermostat, Black||Check Latest Price|
The Lux Geo thermostat is one of the thermostats that are very easy to install. Just like many other thermostats, you can use this one to set the target temperature in your home, create schedules, and access the thermostat remotely.
This thermostat also has geofencing capabilities, which can save you money whenever you are away from home. But, unfortunately, it lacks some advanced features such as remote sensors and support for smart-home systems.
The Geo is budget-friendly but also DIY-friendly. It works with systems that have a C-wire but can also run on batteries. This makes it compatible with almost every HVAC system. It also makes it easy to install.
The Lux Geo thermostat has an app that is compatible with Android and iOS phones. You can use it to link the Geo Lux to your home network, set your heating/cooling preferences, and create schedules.
The app is helpful for the built-in geofencing feature. This feature allows the thermostat to detect your distance from your home and automatically switch to Home or Away mode. By doing this, you do not need to set any schedules or set the thermostat to vacation mode.
The geofencing feature is straightforward to set up. The app will show you a map around your place, and you get to choose the desired radius for activating the Home/Away feature.
The significant drawbacks are the outdated design and the lack of smart home integrations. For many, this will be a worthwhile tradeoff. If you’re not interested in spending the money on our top picks and you don’t care about those missing features, then you should consider the Lux Geo.
7. Honeywell Thermostat WiFi RTH6580WF
|1||Honeywell Wireless WiFi Thermostat,7 Programmable||Check Latest Price|
The first thing we have to point out about the Honeywell RTH6580WF thermostat is its incredible price. It’s often for sale for less than $100, and you can check the price on Amazon here.
One of the reasons this Honeywell thermostat wifi is so cheap is that it is an older model that looks like a traditional thermostat. But do not judge a book by its cover. The Honeywell RTH6580WF is the best value on the market.
Like all the other thermostats, this one can also be controlled remotely through the same Honeywell app discussed in the RTH9580WF model above. This thermostat is also compatible with Amazon Alexa, unlike the more expensive Lux Geo.
What is impressive about this Honeywell thermostat is its 7-day programming feature. You can program up to four different periods per day seven days in advance. This means that you get to choose the temperature for every part of the day – morning, day, evening, and night.
The thermostat will show its user the local weather report to help determine the temperatures according to the condition on the outside. The unit is pre-programmed for energy saving as well.
The free “Total Comfort Connect” app from Honeywell can be used to set up schedules, change the current schedule, and control the temperature remotely. If you have multiple thermostats installed, you can manage each of them through one app.
This makes the Honeywell RTH6580WF an excellent pick for customers with multiple thermostats in their homes. The low price means you could replace every thermostat in your home without breaking the bank, and you can control them all from a single app.
Do not let the design of the Honeywell RTH6580WF fool you. Even though it is not as modern as the Nest or Ecobee4, it does operate using advanced technology. It is an excellent choice for those looking to update their old thermostat and save on energy costs without too many fancy new features.
If you’re interested in learning more about this powerful, budget-friendly thermostat, you can check out our deep dive review.
Best Wifi Thermostat: The Verdict
These are the best WiFi thermostats currently available on the market. Smart thermostats are an excellent buy for nearly everyone:
- Wi-fi and programmable thermostats can help you save energy and money. They will usually pay for themselves in a year or less.
- Energy usage reports can help you determine how much energy you’re using and how to cut back on energy costs.
- You will always be in control of the temperature in your home, regardless of your location.
- The new WiFi thermostats usually have a modern or futuristic design that looks great in your home.
The best choice for you depends on your heating and cooling needs and your budget. Don’t forget to take into account other factors such as the size of your home, installation, as well as wiring, and compatibility with your HVAC system.
To learn more about installing a thermostat, we recommend reading about the C-wire and how that affects thermostat compatibility.
Have questions about a thermostat? Don’t see your favorite thermostat here? Please drop us a comment!
Wifi Thermostat: Today’s Best Deals!
- Set your optimal temperature: Preset the ideal temperature around your schedule and adjust the temp away from home through the Cync app.CYNC Room Temperature Sensor : Add a CYNC Room Temperature...
- Voice control with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant: Turn up the heat or cool down the room from bed with voice control
- Out-of-home control: Get temperature control away from home through the Cync app--no hub or bridge needed
- ENERGY STAR certified. Help save energy, track your heating and cooling with monthly energy reports and get personalized tips on reducing energy use.
- SAVE ENERGY AND GET REWARDED by checking with your energy provider about available energy savings rebates to save on your purchase (rebate finder link above). Plus, eligible customers can enroll in...
- C-WIRE POWER ADAPTER REQUIRED: Before purchasing, check to see if this thermostat is compatible with your home and to determine if your home needs a C-wire power adapter.
- COMFORT COMES IN YOUR COLOR. Personalize your Wi-Fi Smart Color Programmable Thermostat to fit your décor. The Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat does have an auto changeover feature in which the...
- SAVE ENERGY AND GET REWARDED by checking with your energy provider about available rebates. Plus, eligible customers can enroll in their local Utility's "DEMAND RESPONSE PROGRAM" which can reward you...
- YOUR SCHEDULE. YOUR WAY. Flexible programming options for your schedule or utility company’s peak rate pricing.
- EDITORS CHOICE BEST OVERALL SMART THERMOSTAT by USA Today’s reviewed.com.SMART MAINTENANCE: Sensi can help monitor the performance and efficiency of your HVAC system by delivering important usage...
- SAVE ABOUT 23% ON HVAC ENERGY*: By adjusting the temperature using flexible scheduling, remote access, and geofencing, Sensi customers saved about 23% on HVAC energy usage
- MOST INSTALL IN 30 MINUTES OR LESS**: Use the built-in level, illuminated easy-click terminals and step-by-step app instructions for a quick installation. Skip any extra work painting or patching the...
- Smart, really smart - intuitively understands when to turn on your heating or cooling equipment based on your home's unique energy profile, the weather outside, and thousands of other data points to...
- Knows you have a life - senses whether anyone's home and which rooms are occupied, delivering comfort when you're at home and saving you energy and money when you're not
- Lowers your energy bills - ecobee saves homeowners an average of 23% annually, paying for itself in energy savings
- ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat for home that helps you save energy and stay comfortable.Connectivity : Wi-Fi - 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz, 802.11a/n 5 GHz Wi-Fi., Wireless interconnect : Bluetooth...
- The Nest Thermostat is designed to work without a C wire in most homes, but for some systems, including heating only, cooling only, zone controlled, and heat pump systems, you’ll need a C wire or...
- Nest Thermostat turns itself down when you leave, so you don’t waste energy heating or cooling an empty home. Lock feature: No
- PRIVACY PROTECTION*: Sensi won’t sell your personal information to third parties
- SAVE ABOUT 23% ON HVAC ENERGY*: The ENERGY STAR-certified Sensi smart thermostat can help you save energy with features like flexible scheduling, remote access, and usage reports
- EASY DIY INSTALLATION: Use the built-in level and step-by-step app instructions for a quick installation. Works with HVAC equipment found in most homes. Common wire (c-wire) is not required in most...
- ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED. Honeywell Home Wi-Fi thermostats are energy-efficient without sacrificing performance.
- SMART HOME INTEGRATION. The Wi-Fi 7-Day is compatible with voice assistant devices like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana, and more.
- THERMOSTAT THAT FITS YOUR LIFE. 7-day, 4 periods per day, flexible programming lets you sync your comfort with your schedule.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- Your ecobee3 lite powers on through the C and Rc terminal. Be sure to insert your R/Rc/Rh wire in the Rc terminal of your ecobee3 lite thermostat.
- Fast, easy installation - install your ecobee in 30 minutes or less. The step-by-step guide on our mobile app and free expert support make it easy.Smarter comfort - your ecobee understands your local...
- High use of the scheduling feature of the T5 thermostat saved customers between 8 and 16% on heating and cooling bills. Dollar savings range based on nationwide average annual single-family detached...
- Save Energy and Get Rewarded. Check with your energy provider about available energy savings rebates to save on your purchase. Plus, eligible customers can enroll in their local Utility's "DEMAND...
- 7-Day Flexible Scheduling or Location Based Temperature Control. It’s your choice. 7-day scheduling programs your thermostat. Geofence technology helps make you comfortable by using your...
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Last update on 2023-03-28 from Amazon / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API