🏠 Things To Buy For A New House ❤️ [200+ New Home Essentials]
So you’re ready to move? Congratulations! If you’re moving into a new home, our new house checklist covers everything you need to buy for a new house, from the essentials household items to the latest smart home gadgets.
Maybe it’s your first time out on your own, and you need some first apartment essentials. No matter the situation, we’re glad you’re here. Keep read on!
1. Move-in Essentials
We’ll start with some things that will make a move itself easier. Moving day can be stressful, but it can be a lot easier with a little bit of prep work. For some tips and tricks, check out these 12 Things To Keep In Mind When Moving.
1.1. Before the Moving Day
- Set up utilities – There’s nothing worse than unpacking in a cold, dark home with no internet. Make sure to get your electric, gas, water, and internet turned on before your move-in date!
1.2. Have some basic house essentials on hand
- Trash bags
- Box cutter
- Basic Tools – To make building all that IKEA furniture easier.
- First aid kit – Accidents happen when moving. You don’t need to be fancy, but it helps to have some basics on hand when you’re moving in.
- Batteries – Especially 9V batteries for any smoke detectors that might need a replacement.
- Light bulbs – Always good to have a few on hand, just in case something burns out or breaks.
- Toilet paper – You’ll need it eventually; better to grab it sooner than later.
|1||Johnson & Johnson All-Purpose Portable Compact First Aid Kit for Minor Cuts, Scrapes, Sprains &...||Check Latest Price|
1.3. Smart Home Essentials For Living
Smart home technology has come a long way in the last few years. Adding a few internet-connected devices can make your life more convenient & give you peace of mind when you’re away from home.
When it comes to move-in day, there are two essential items you’ll want to have with you – an internet modem and a wi-fi router. Just plug in a few cables, download the companion app, and you’ll have blazing fast internet in no time.
- Modem – Often provided by your cable company, but you’ll have the choice to buy your own (and avoid the monthly fee the cable company charges).
- Router – We really like the Google-backed OnHub routers, made by TP-Link and ASUS.
|1||NETGEAR Cable Modem CM500 - Compatible with All Cable Providers Including Xfinity by Comcast,...||Check Latest Price|
|1||TP-Link AX1800 WiFi 6 Router (Archer AX21) – Dual Band Wireless Internet Router, Gigabit Router,...||Check Latest Price|
1.4. Some other home essentials to consider
- New locks – Who knows what the previous owner did with their keys? Or which neighbor has a copy? It’s a good idea to replace your locks whenever you move. We recommend upgrading to a smart lock!
- Security Safe – Even a basic safe is better than nothing at all. With movers, handypersons, landlords, or neighbors coming in and out of the house, you’ll want to make sure your valuables are protected.
- Smart Thermostat – Wi-fi-enabled thermostats are a great way to keep your home comfortable without spending a ton on your energy bills every month. If you’re buying a new home, this is a great investment. Smart thermostats are one of the few items you can buy for your home that actually pay for themselves – our top pick for smart thermostats can save you 30% on your energy bills every month.
- Ethernet cables – They’re always good to have, and it’s the worst thing not to have them when you need them.
- Surge protectors
- Extension cords
- Amazon Echo – Whether it’s the original Echo or the smaller Echo Dot, the Echo has quickly taken the world by storm. Alexa can check the weather, read you a recipe, reorder, play music, or even order your Uber.
- ALEXA CAN SHOW YOU MORE – Set alarms and timers, sleep soundly with a relaxing playlist, start your morning with a smart home routine, see your calendar or weather clearly - all with your voice.
- SMALL SIZE, BIGGER SOUND – Stream your favorite music, shows, podcasts, and more from providers like Amazon Music, Spotify, and Prime Video—now with deeper bass and clearer vocals. Includes a 5.5"...
- KEEP YOUR HOME COMFORTABLE – Control compatible smart devices like lights and thermostats, even while you're away.
2. List Of Kitchen Essentials For New Home
We dive in-depth into our favorite cooking gear in our article How to Set Up Your Dream Kitchen for Under $500. If you’re looking for a much more detailed list with in-depth reviews, we recommend you check it out.
2.1. Kitchen Necessities For New Home
For starters, let’s cover what you’ll need to eat:
- Flatware sets
- Steak knives
- Silverware organizer
- Serving platters
- Coffee mugs
- Wine glasses
2.2. New House Kitchen Checklist: Cooking Basics
You’ll also want to consider some basics to cook with. Again, we list our favorites for each of these items in but here are a few items to consider:
- Ladles and Skimmer
Now that you have these great tools, make them easy to reach with a utensil holder for your kitchen counter. We like this stainless steel one, but they come in tons of flavors.
- Knives – How many knives do you actually need? What are the differences? Is a good knife worth the money? We break it down in this new home kitchen essentials list.
- Cutting board
- Pots and Pans – We give a detailed breakdown of the types of pots and pans to consider in this new home kitchen essentials article, as well as some recommendations for our favorites.
- Baking sheets
- Bottle Opener & Corkscrew
- Measuring Cups / spoons
2.3. List Of Kitchen Appliances For New House
We do not consider any of these necessary per se… But a few appliances can expand your cooking repertoire or make your time in the kitchen more efficient.
- Toaster oven
- Coffee Maker
- Coffee Grinder
- Salad spinner
We’re not the only ones who love it – this pressure cooker has found itself a cult following, with nearly 500,000 people on their Facebook group and plenty of sites dedicated to Instant Pot Recipes.
It’s popular for a good reason – it requires almost no setup, it’s easy to use, and it serves as a pressure cooker, crockpot, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, warmer, and it can sauté.
On top of everything else, the Instant Pot is built to be convenient – you can control it with your smartphone. The Instant Pot will be your new best friend in the kitchen.
- 9-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY: Pressure cook, slow cook, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, sauté pan, yogurt maker, sterilizer and food warmer.
- IMPROVED STRESS-FREE VENTING: Intuitive and simple, our improved easy-release steam switch makes releasing steam easier than ever, and it automatically resets when the lid is closed.
- REALTIME FEEDBACK: The easy-to-read display includes a full cooking progress bar lets you know what stage of the cooking program you’ve reached.
2.4. Kitchen household items list
- Trash can & bags
- Step stool
- Magnetic hooks – Great for hanging things off the side of the refrigerator.
- Dish soap
- Drying rack
- Paper Towels
- Aluminum foil, wax paper, plastic wrap, and parchment paper
- Plastic bags
- Ice cube trays
- Can opener
- Oven mitts
- Cooling mat – Use a silicone mat to set your pans down on the counter or table to protect them from heat damage.
- Kitchen rug / Standing mat
3. Living Room Checklist For New Home
Looking for a new TV to match that new living room?
No products found.
- Hear your TV better: Designed with simplicity in mind, the Bose TV Speaker is a small soundbar that clarifies speech and is a simple fix for better TV sound.
- Wide, natural sound: 2 angled full-range drivers deliver a more realistic, spatial audio experience for overall better TV sound from a small soundbar.
- Enhanced dialogue: This TV speaker is designed to specifically focus on clarifying and elevating vocals and pronunciation.
Streaming devices for your TV
We’re big fans of the Chromecast, but there are plenty to choose from out there.
- Netflix – The kings of streaming.
- Amazon Video – With an Amazon Prime membership, you get free access to Amazon’s video service, with thousands of movies and TV shows streaming for free.
3.1. Living room essentials for new home
You’ll need some furniture (housewarming parties are no fun if everyone has to sit on the floor). What you end up buying will depend on the size and layout of your new living room, but here are a few pieces to consider:
- TV stand or Media center
- Coffee table
- Armchair – From a sleek mid-century modern armchair to this wonderfully over-the-top tufted, high back, floral print armchair, a couple of good chairs can break up a room and be cheaper and more convenient than a love seat.
- Stools – This can be great for some extra seating when needed, especially stackable stools like these.
- Poufs – Are they chairs? Stools? Tiny bean bags? It doesn’t matter what you call them; they’re comfortable and versatile. They make for great additional seating when you have a few friends over.
- Rocking chair – The most irresistible of chairs come in many options and are usually a discussion piece. We really love these more modern rocking chairs to make a statement in your living room.
- Side Table
- Throw pillows
- Throw blanket
- Area Rug
3.2. Home Lighting
Lighting is something that can define a room, but it’s often overlooked when furnishing a room. Does the room get plenty of natural light all day? If not, you might need to consider lighting that will brighten the room up during the day.
Recessed lighting in the ceiling? If not, you’ll need something bigger to keep things well-lit once the sun goes down. And it’s always good to have a few table lamps to keep things cozy at night.
4. Bedroom Checklist For New Home
- Bed frame
- Mattress pad
- Sheet sets
- Comforter + duvet cover
- Full-length mirror
- Laundry hamper
- Trash can + bags
- Alarm clock – wake up light
- Under-bed storage
- Fan + Space heater
We’re in the middle of a revolution when it comes to the mattress. With a slew of new online mattress companies, it’s easier than ever to get a great bed delivered directly to your new house on move-in day, and you’ll pay less than you would at the local mattress store.
We think Puffy offers the best mattress from all the new startups. They’re so confident you’ll love the mattress that they give you a full year to return it if it’s not working for you.
They also guarantee the mattress for life, so you can rest assured that if you have any problems with the mattress a few years down the road, they’ll make it right.
Bedroom Closet List For New Home
- Door hooks
- Hanging closet rod – great for doubling up if you need the space and easy to set up.
- Shoe rack
- Hanging shelves
- Shelf organizers
- Storage bins
- Door mirror
- Drawer organizers
- Space saver bags – great for storing off-season clothing and easy to keep in a bin under the bed or in the closet.
A great way to free up space in a small closet.
- Large bins
5. Bathroom Needs For New House
- Shower curtain
- Curtain rod + hanging rings
- Shower caddy
- Hand soap
- Toothbrush holder
- Toilet paper
- Toilet brush
- Bath mats
- Bathroom scale
- Trash can + bags
- Air freshener or candles
- Towels – be sure to get enough for any guests who stay with you.
- Towel hooks – An over-the-door rack can save you some space in a small bathroom.
6. Household Essentials List
- Cleaning supplies
- Paper towels
- Clorox wipes
- Stove cleaner
- Rubber Gloves
- Laundry detergent, fabric softener, stain remover, bleach
- Iron + ironing board
- Trash bags
- Broom + dustpan
For vacuum cleaner recommendations, you can check out our article on the best vacuum for hardwood floors. The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro’s top pick works great on hardwood, tile, and carpet.
The closed system vacuum with a HEPA filter will ensure that it keeps the dirt, dust, and allergens inside the bagless container while in use. And it’s great for the rest of the house, too – from tile to carpet to your auto interior, this vacuum is versatile and is built to go anywhere.
No products found.
7. Things To Buy For A New House: The Rest Of The House
Depending on the size and layout of your new home, you may or may not have some extra spaces that need furnishing. We’ve listed a few common areas of the home below, as well as some items you may want for each.
- Welcome mat
- Area rug
- Hat + coat rack
- Small bench or table
- Key hooks
- Mail organizer
- Table + chairs
- Table cloth
- Table runner
- Desk chair
- Computer monitors
- Filing cabinet
- Trash can + bags
- Whiteboard + markers
- Office Supplies
- Pens + pencils
- Desktop pen holder
- Printer Paper
- Extension cord
- Surge protector
8. Things to buy for a new house: conclusion
For more information about outfitting your home, we recommend:
- Our Reviews section here on Home Buying Checklist
- Our Kitchen Essentials checklist
- The Home Dweller
- The Wirecutter
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Last update on 2023-12-03 from Amazon / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API